Raikkonen prefers short-term contracts

by - 10/20/2012 02:28:00 p.m.


Kimi Raikkonen says he prefers one-year Formula One contracts because it makes his life “less hassle”.
The 2007 world champion’s Lotus team announced this week that the Finn was staying with them next year after a successful comeback season.

With the regulations changing significantly for 2014, continuity is likely to be important for teams and Raikkonen was asked at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Thursday why he had not signed a longer deal.

“I’m happy to do year by year and see what happens,” said the 33-year-old. “It makes life more easy for me, and I don’t see a reason why I should make long-term contracts.

“I try to do well enough that I don’t have to worry about it when it comes to the time to sign, that I will have somewhere to race.

“Plus for me it’s easier like that. If you want to decide to go somewhere and do something else it’s less hassle and less problems.”

Raikkonen has had six podium finishes this season and is third overall in the championship, albeit 67 points behind Red Bull’s leader and reigning champion Sebastian Vettel, with three races remaining. The former Sauber, McLaren and Ferrari driver has seemed happy at Lotus, the former Renault team, even if he still finds media and sponsor activities a tiresome necessity.

read more

You May Also Like

0 comments