Raikkonen out to end German jinx

by - 7/12/2012 11:34:00 a.m.


Kimi Raikkonen heads to Hockenheim hoping it will "all come together" this season as his bids to avoid his seventh German GP retirement.

The German GP has in the past proven to be Raikkonen's boogey track as the Finn begun his F1 career with five years worth of retirements at the Hockenheimring.

He added a sixth German GP DNF in 2009, his final season with Ferrari, although this time it was at the Nürburgring.

"I don't know, maybe I did something bad in a former life?" the 32-year-old said when asked what it was about Germany that 'hasn't been kind to you in the past.'

"I've always enjoyed driving in Germany, but the problem is that luck has never been on my side there and something has always happened to stop me winning.

"I've had four pole positions which shows my speed on German soil, but six retirements haven't been what I wanted."

Raikkonen's best result in Germany was the third place finished he achieved with McLaren back in 2006 while his only other points-finish was a P6 as a Ferrari driver in 2008.

Asked whether that was extra motivation to go for the victory, the Finn said: "Not really. A race is just a race and you always try to do your best.

"In the past, the races I've contested in Germany have never gone as I had been hoping for.

"Obviously both circuits - Hockenheim and the Nürburgring - have not been very kind to me. I like them both and I have always been very competitive there.

"Maybe it will all come together this year."

Heading to Hockenheim, Raikkonen, who has three podium finishes but no win, is fifth in the Drivers' Championship on 83 points, 46 behind Championship leader Fernando Alonso.

You May Also Like

0 comments