Kaj's interview from the same magazine

by - 4/19/2012 03:40:00 p.m.


Luviceman translated and summarized part of an article of a finnish magazine, interesting read. Thanks also to MomoD for sharing.



I think nobody knows real Kimi Raikkonen. He likes to joke and is talkative.

Kaj said Kaj can't say since when he knew Kimi would return to F1, but Kimi didn't hide, but talked about the possibility to Kaj when he wanted to return to F1. And Kaj supported Kimi's decision. Also, Kaj said he really thinks it was really good time and experience for Kimi being in Rally for 2 years.

How did you see Kimi is driving F1 again?

"I saw Australian GP on TV. I was watching and thinking "*** No swearing *** he is really good at passing. I could not see whole Malaysia GP because I flew from Italy to Finland. I was disappointed because I could not see whole race."

What is the most impressive episode of Kimi ever when you fought for Rally?

"I have lots of great memories. It was really fun to fight for Rally in high level with him.
I can't pick only one good memory from bunch of them. Every single time of adventures
which I spent with Kimi are my treasures."

At the end, Kimi has ended up his Rally carrier in 5th position in highest. Do you think he could do better?

"Rally is not easy. He proved it in past 2 years. Even if you are the world champion in any field,
you can't succeed in Rally easily. Even if you can drive F1 well, you can't drive and control Rally car freely. Of course Kimi drove it well. there is no doubt about it, and he tremendously evolved in this two years. But winning is a different story."

In what was he struggling the most?

"A big difference between Rally and F1 is pace notes, the driver has to make pace notes by himself, and to push hard, you have to trust your pace note 100%. Kimi's notes had really evolved and although it was sometimes, he showed me his reckless speed. If only he continued...that I think."

We heard Raikkonen had aggressively tried to learn Rally.

"I saw Kimi was a real professional in Rally field as well. When he didn't quite satisfy his time in special stage, he kept silence in the *** No swearing ****pit and thought about it. He continued analyzing 'how I can drive faster?' Not for fun/pleasure, he addressed Rally directly and seriously. From a fragment of his attitude and the communication, I always felt it."

Does Kimi change in the job and in private?

"Of course it's a part, but there are two different Kimi. When he works, he is at work mode, and when in private time, he is in free man mode. But I think the media doesn't know both Kimis. Work mode Kimi is only in the *** No swearing ****pit. So I think nobody really knows about real Kimi. I think nobody knows even 1% of Kimi."

In private time, is Kimi an easy person to live with?

"He is very fun to be around. I think he is really attractive guy. He loves jokes and is talkative.
it was really fun to do long plane rides and work with him in Rally week. He is really serious at work. The media created an image and Kimi created another image in front of the media that are not a real Kimi. He is really normal guy in ordinary, he is not different than people around there."

Does Kimi understand himself as the world super star and he is to be followed all the time?

"I guess he doesn't want to think about it. This is why he spends his most of time in Switzerland.
His home is in peace and no media who follows him. He can relax from the bottom of his heart.
it's really tough to be followed all the time. If he does something, immediately someone writes
"Kimi went to the supermarket!"

No fuss in Switzerland?

"He isn't so highlighted in Swiss. He can have fun as he wants. He has close people in Finland,
and there are places that he con also go there. I think they are getting bored to write "Kimi
came here" every time in Finland.

Did you visit his home in Switzerland?

"Not so often. We are not too so close to spend private time together all the time. But I went
there a few times. When I went to Switzerland, I always stayed in Kimi's house. For example,
I was there few days before going to next rally after Citroen's test. I often played ice hockey with him."

Is Kimi interested in what the media writes?

I can say this clearly, I don't think so. He understands what he is doing, and he isn't
influenced by anything. I think he let the media write whatever they want."

Why does Kimi take a distance from the media and is cold to them?

"The media has been bullying Kimi for a long time. If Kimi says something to media,
the media pick up only a part of his words and cut all the backgrounds and make a 1 page
article. In headline you see "Kimi's exclusive interview!" but in the article, they don't even
write why and how he said it. if it continues, you are distrustful of the media."

Will Kimi come back to Rally after finishing his F1 carrier?

"The possibility is not zero, he likes Rally like that, he will do it as hobby in any way.
Rally is the same as moto cross and snow mobile to him, he really loves engine controll
machines. But at this point, he does not talk about Rally."

How do you think Kimi can do in F1 this year?

"I think Kimi proves people wrong who are informed source of GP. He hasn't have a
good result yet, but is showing impressive drive. If he had run in the 2 years
blank, he could be much faster. I strongly believe Kimi is the man who will be on the podium after his rehab, no...who shows wining."

Kaj, you are right, Kimi is already on the podium

Kinga wrote:
awwww what Petter did say about Kimi? Could you tell, please?

Luviceman wrote:
sure! but it's a normal comment

"I talked to Kimi a lot in 2011 because we are both privater of citroen. Kimi didn't have his hospitality for his team, so he always came to my team's hospitality and stayed relaxed. he make coffee, eat snack and really relaxed. even if the guests come, even if the media comes and taking pictures of him, he really didn't care about it but spent his time in his space. we often joked and laughing so hard.
Kimi was not a guy who was said difficult/moody guy or weird guy. He is just a normal guy next door. Of course his talent of driver was not usual, and his attitude to Rally was really serious. I think if he continued, he could fight for win in near future. I welcome him back to WRC if he is away from F1."


Kinga wrote:
I don't understand this. Did Kimi say that or you say that it was a tough decision not to come back in RB?

luviceman wrote:
this is what Kimi answered in the interview. I translated that part.

"It was a difficult/tough decision. if you see the race, you can know RB is doing good. but I just started my Rally carrier at that time. in addition, I wasn't ready to come back to F1. honestly, I was strongly feeling and wanting to know rally more. I wanted to challenge to WRC and to know how I could do and how difficult rally is."

according to the article, a half year past after Kimi started his rally carrier in 2010, RB offered RB seat in 2011 to Kimi. this was before they spoke to Webber to extend his contract. but Kimi decided not to come back to F1. and it mentioned reason is unknown, but Kimi and RB sponsorship ended.

Kimi also answered he doesn't want to move to US, so NASCAR couldn't be his option. that's why Kimi became missing F1 more and more. Kimi didn't take long time to return to F1 after receiving call from Ropez. He went to the factory and talked and made the contract. the important negotiation was not money, but to know what the team is aiming and what
kind of machine they are making. "saw the factory and felt the atmosphere, I thought Lotus is ideal team for me considering all the condition. I knew Renault was 5th, so people don't expect me to win, so I thought I can have time for rehab." too honest Kimi

You May Also Like

0 comments