That's KIMI (part II)

by - 6/03/2009 10:49:00 p.m.

Steve Robertson/Manager
I will never forget how I for the first time watched Kimi's driving on Snetterton track in Formula Ford. At first I didn't introduce myself to him at all because I wanted to watch how he took the corners. I didn't want him to know I was there. I discovered very quickly that Kimi had the ability to control the car in situations where other drivers would have gone off the track. Also the fact that he only needed a couple of laps to learn a new track was absolutely convincing.
With a slightly better luck Kimi would be a 3 time WDC. Always when Kimi starts competing - whatever the sport - he has an unbeliavably strong will power to win. And his mental strength is also incredibly unique.


Matti Nykänen/Singing Ski jumper
Kimi finished his condition for the championship in our sauna in year 2007. We have also been singing karaoke with Kimi in pubs in Tampere. I think he sings pretty well but I suspect that he is a better driver than a singer.
Kimi is a very sympatic person and really not an ice pick like some beauty queen said. Kimi always takes his friends into consideration.
I know that Kimi has been training well but I can't say how he is going to succeed. It's a new season, new rules and whoever gets comfortable with these new systems fastest will succeed. It could be that the championship is determined in the last races.

Ville Nieminen/Ice-hockey player
Kimi is a supertalent when it comes to sport, especially in motoric ways. He always goes really eagerly into all sport things and everything is fine to him. I've played ice-hockey with Kimi a couple of times. He has a good eye for the game but you can clearly see that ice-hockey is his second sport.

Jesse Niinimäki/Ice-hockey player
Kimi is extremely talented. I've sometimes been with him when he has driven a rally car. For example his ability to react is on an extreme level. And all those guys are physically in an awesome condition. On his free time Kimi is relaxed and fair and he has a great sense of humour.

Jacky Eeckelaert/Former race engineer
All Finns are quiet. Mika Häkkinen was like that and so have all the rally drivers been too. Kimi is still an extreme case. On the other hand, when you go with him to a pub he suddenly talks a lot more. In GP's Kimi doesn't want to be disturbed. One disturbing factor is the media.
Outside the track Kimi is much more relaxed. The driver's work is both mentally and physically really demanding so you have to relax once in a while. Someone does it by sleeping but a much better way is to have a good time. It has never disturbed Kimi's work.

Juan Pablo Montoya/Former team mate
I remember that Ron Dennis really liked him. Kimi was very quick but he drove the car in a different style than I did. With his setups the car behaved completely differently. Outside the track we didn't speak much. He was always very quiet. We never had any fights.

You May Also Like

0 comments