THE PODIUM CALLS

by - 5/01/2009 11:10:00 p.m.

Somebody reminded me that it's been over a year since I last won a race. Oh well, you can't change that afterwards into anything else but it could have gone the other way too. After last year's Barcelona we missed out a few times. It could have been possible to win at least in Magny Cours, Montreal and Spa.

I still haven't forgotten how winning feels. And that's what I'm after - as fast as it's possible.

After four races far away it's always great to come back to Europe. I also like the circuit in Barcelona a lot. I've had two victories from there. It's a good circuit and a good place for me.

I received happily the data I was provided by our team about how our new aerodynamic functioned in the first test. I'll go to Spain on Thursday and it's exciting to test in Friday practice all the new parts that we now have in the car.

I'm sure every team has done their best so that their cars are in the best stitch. That's why it's vain to give any big promises at this stage. Let's just look how the first race goes and I think it gives us the line of direction where each team is heading right now.

We tested in Barcelona in March but it's no use to draw any conclusions based on those tests. In tests you don't even know how heavy the other cars are. Now the cars have changed a lot and the proportions of power are now at least somewhat different.

Ferrari has a new aerodynamic that should give more downforce compared to what we had in the first four races. When all the others have gone forward too, one can only wish that we have made most progress.

In Barcelona the aerodynamics is a real key-thing if you want a good laptime. It's technically a really demanding place and if you want to be in the lead your car has to be really competitive. It's a big difference if you get to start the race from the lead. We saw in Bahrain how difficult the start becomes when you have to start far behind the lead.

It has never been easy to overtake in Barcelona. Let's hope that the KERS will help but overtaking always depends on the circuit and the situation. KERS will definitely be an advantage in the start but if all the KERS-cars are in the lead and everyone pushes the button in the same place, then it's useless.

Let's wait and see what we can accomplish.

I already have three points and it was good enough to get even the 6th position in Bahrain. Now with the new parts and the team's hard work we should be stronger. There's been a lot of talk about a place on the podium but it can't be promised beforehand. But of course the goal is to fight for the prizes.

I was in Switzerland during the break. I trained a little and went to check all Finland's games. After a couple bad games Finland won superbly Canada. There was the zern like it should be. They showed that you do not give up and it's always worth to fight for the victory. Just like I'm going to do in Barcelona.

You May Also Like

0 comments