Raikkonen insists he is still motivated

by - 10/09/2008 03:19:00 p.m.

Kimi Raikkonen insists he is as motivated as ever to succeed in Formula One, despite an ultimately difficult season with Ferrari.
The reigning world champion is 27 points adrift of Lewis Hamilton in the title chase with three races to go, having failed to score any points since the Hungarian Grand Prix in August.
And although disappointed that circumstances have all but put him out of the championship fight, he says his motivation to triumph has not been dented at all.
"I haven't lost anything," Raikkonen said in Fuji. "We had a good start to the season but of course we made a few mistakes, a few bad choices, and we never recovered.
"We should have won more races but we didn't for many reasons. It hasn't changed my way of driving, or my hunger, or my racing because I want to still win. I am the world champion and hopefully we can get some good results and get back in.
"I have made mistakes, Ferrari have made mistakes - everyone makes mistakes. We need to learn from them. But I have all the confidence in the team, just as they have in me and both drivers. We win and lose as a team."
Ferrari have set their sights on three 1-2 finishes in the remaining races this season to try and help Felipe Massa overhaul Hamilton's advantage.
Raikkonen will have to play a supporting role to his Brazilian teammate, but is confident in the speed of the Ferrari F2008.
"The car should be strong over all the remaining races," he said. "We try to win every race, so hopefully we can get things as we want and can have a strong weekend without any issues. We should be in a position at least to challenge to win.
"I think it is pretty close with McLaren, like it has been all year. We are different teams but we seem to be very equal. It (also) depends a bit on the weather where the teams are."

You May Also Like

0 comments