Kimi Raikkonen still aiming for F1 title

by - 9/20/2008 09:58:00 p.m.

Kimi Raikkonen isn’t giving up his bid for a second consecutive Formula One title, even though he is only fourth with four races remaining and Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa could use his help to catch Lewis Hamilton.

“It definitely won’t be easy, but I’m going to try to win the championship and I’ll still help the team,” Raikkonen said after testing at the Mugello track Thursday, running 79 laps with a best time of 1:21.079.

McLaren’s Hamilton leads with 78 points, Massa is second with 77,Robert Kubica of BMW Sauber is third with 64 and Raikkonen has 57. The next race is the Singapore Grand Prix on Sept 28.

“It’s been a while now that I haven’t been able to perform how I like to and right now the only thing I’m focused on is getting good results, then at the end I’ll look to see where I am in the standings,”
said Raikkonen, who finished ninth in the Italian GP last weekend.

Singapore will be making its debut on the Formula One circuit with a night race.

“I don’t think there will be any type of danger because there will be so many lights you probably won’t be able to notice the difference from a traditional Grand Prix,” Raikkonen said, according to the ANSA news agency.

Raikkonen only knows the Singapore track from a FIAT simulator.
“It’s like a video game,” he said. “It was great to see the curves, but the truth is you need to actually drive it to really understand how it is,” he added.

You May Also Like

0 comments