Kimi expects strong Silverstone

by - 6/26/2008 10:24:00 p.m.


Kimi Raikkonen anticipates that Ferrari will once again be fighting for top honours at next weekend's British Grand Prix.



The defending World Champion lies five points behind team-mate Felipe Massa in the Drivers' Championship after backing up a Scuderia one-two in Sunday's French Grand Prix.


Raikkonen had been set for victory until an exhaust problem at half-distance had forced him to relinquish the lead to Massa.


The Finn is now confident Ferrari can follow up their dominant display at Magny-Cours with another such at Silverstone.


Raikkonen, who won last year's British Grand Prix, told Ferrari's website: "We expect to be really competitive at Silverstone.


"This week all the teams will test there ahead of the British GP: I'll drive on Thursday after Felipe has tested two days.


"I like the track and I have fond memories of it: it's good to come here with a car that can fight for the win."


Massa was quickest on day one of the test on Tuesday.



Relief


Raikkonen also admitted he was relieved to cross the finish line at Magny-Cours after his troublesome afternoon.


"I have to admit the it has never been better to see the chequered flag. Once again we proved you should never give up," he said.


"Obviously I'm sorry that I didn't win a race where everything went well in the beginning.


"We have to look at the positive aspects: the team did great work and I gained eight points, although I had a problem, which could have made me retire.


"And now I'm closer to the top than I was after Canada," added Raikkonen, who failed to score points in both Montreal and the preceding Monaco Grand Prix.

You May Also Like

0 comments