Kimi's column - Malaysia

by - 3/25/2008 02:26:00 p.m.


The Speed is there.

Obviously, it was great to win again. I've got a really nice feeling while flying back home after the race on Sunday. The race was run exactly according to our plan. While we didn't have any problems, the speed is there. No doubt about that. Our car is strong enough to take, and to keep the first place.

It should have been enough already in Australia, but that was one of those weekends while nothing works as you want. Again in Malaysia, the Friday was not ours. We had run out of fuel just as we started to work. We lost the first session, but of course it was just our own fault. It had nothing to do with the car.

The qualifying result could have been better. But like I always say, it does not matter afterwards. Only the result counts. The race however, was next to perfect and we did not have a single problem from the start to the finish line.

I had a good start and would have really fought for position on the limit, and I would have probably taken the lead. Obviously with Felipe, we knew eachother's fuel levels and it would not have made sense to start pushing against my teammate. I just let it be and decided to wait for the pit stop.

It's pretty difficult to keep close behind following the leading car. But I had to keep close enough, while we had just one lap to take the lead after Felipe pitted. I can tell you it's a huge difference when you can go flat out on an empty track ahead with clean air. Without looking at the numbers, I think the car was half a second quicker while I was out there alone.

I managed to overtake Felipe as we planned, then when something happened to him and he suddenly disappeared from my mirrors, I knew that we were going to win that race if there are no problems occuring with us too.

It was an easy victory. We just took it really easy and saved the car and engine for the next race. I could have gone much faster, but there wasn't any need for that.

I won my first ever Grand Prix in Malaysia too. As I remember, it was also pretty easy back then five years ago too. It just shows that when the car is working well, Sepang seems to suit me well.

I was asked if we started our season in Malaysia, rather than in Australia. This was not the case. We already had one point from Melbourne. We have been there in the fight with the others since race one. That one point is good to have.

The boys at Ferrari really know how to take these things. We did not panic after the first bad race in Australia and now after Malaysia there is no way we will start thinking too much of ourselves.

This is going to be a very tight battle all year long. As I said before the first race, this season is very long. Now we have just started, and nobody can say what happens next.

Obviously, we have a winning car. While everything works well, we have the speed to win races. We just need to get qualifying in a better shape. When the qualifying performance is there, it also helps a lot for the race.

It is just nice to be at home for a change. It was damn hot back there in Australia and Malaysia. It will be hot in Bahrain too, but after those two weekends it does not feel that tough anymore.

Let's just wait and see, what we are able to do there.

You May Also Like

0 comments