Kimi: We could've challenged for the win

by - 8/08/2013 07:37:00 p.m.

Kimi Raikkonen was happy to finish ahead of Sebastian Vettel in Hungary, but he feels he could've challenged for the win if he didn't make his own life difficult on the Saturday.

While his Lotus team-mate Romain Grosjean posted the third quickest time in qualifying, Raikkonen struggled with his car and could only manage to start sixth on the grid.

Lotus, though, opted for a two-stop strategy and it paid off as he finished second behind race winner Lewis Hamilton while Championship leader Sebastian Vettel was third.

A few laps longer and Raikkonen may well have finished behind Vettel as the Red Bull driver was on fresher rubber and was right on his tail.

The Finn was relieved to get second place, but he knows they can't continue to make mistakes during qualifying.

"I keep making my life difficult on Saturdays so we pay the price [on Sunday]," he said. "I had a good car, we did two stops, it was tight with Seb at the end but we gained some points in the Championship.

"I felt the tyres were good at the end but I didn't really have any doubts that I could keep Seb behind me, I had good speed throughout. The team worked well, everything worked well, but unfortunately yesterday wasn't the easiest day otherwise we could have challenged for the win."

source

You May Also Like

0 comments