Martin Whitmarsh urges Williams to sign Kimi Raikkonen

by - 11/11/2011 10:58:00 p.m.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has urged Frank Williams to sign 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen.

Raikkonen raced for McLaren from 2002-2006, winning nine grands prix, and Whitmarsh came close to re-signing him for 2010 before opting for Jenson Button.

Williams has held talks with Raikkonen and is considering taking him on in a move believed to be contingent on landing major backing from Qatar. But despite question marks over how motivated the Finn is to return to F1 after two seasons out, Whitmarsh has no doubts about his ability.

"Try and sign him," said Whitmarsh when asked to give advice to Williams on Raikkonen. "We all know he is quick and I think people underestimate how intelligent he can be.

"I hope that he is hungry. I am sure that he hasn't lost the capability to thrill us, so I think it would be fantastic for Formula 1. I wouldn't ordinarily presume to advise Sir Frank who he should sign, but I think it would be exciting if he did."

Williams would not comment on his interest in Raikkonen, saying that "I cannot make any comment about supposition", but he did confirm that a slot could be available in the team's 2012 driver line-up.

read more

You May Also Like

0 comments