Raikkonen ‘sad’ to leave Ferrari

by - 10/01/2009 11:34:00 p.m.


Following news that he is to part company with Ferrari at the end of the season, Kimi Raikkonen has spoken of his sadness at leaving the Italian team. Raikkonen’s place at Ferrari will be taken by current Renault driver Fernando Alonso, who will join Felipe Massa and reserve driver Giancarlo Fisichella.

Raikkonen has been with Ferrari since joining from McLaren in 2007. That season he clinched the drivers’ title and over his three years at the team has taken nine race victories, five pole positions and 225 world championship points.

“With common consent, we have agreed to terminate the contract binding me to Ferrari to the end of 2010, one year ahead of schedule,” said the Finn. “I am very sad to be leaving a team with which I have spent three fantastic years, during which time I won plenty of races.

“Together, we have won 50 percent of the world titles in that period and I managed to take the drivers’ title in 2007, thus achieving the target I had set myself at the start of my career. I have always felt at home with everyone here and I will have many happy memories of my time with the team.”

Paying tribute to Raikkonen, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali commented: “Of course, we wish to thank Kimi for everything he has done during his time with Ferrari: in his first year with us, he managed to win the drivers’ title, thus making his contribution to Ferrari’s history and he played a vital role in our taking of the constructors’ title in 2007 and 2008.

“Even during a difficult season like this one, he has demonstrated his great talent, with several good results, including a great win in Spa and we are sure that we can share more good times together in the final three races of this season.”

Raikkonen, 29, has yet to reveal his plans for 2010.

You May Also Like

0 comments