Post-qualifying press conference

by - 5/23/2009 12:54:00 a.m.

Q. Kimi, the first front row start of the season. It looked like you had the pace all qualifying and for a while there you were on pole and then right at the end it was Jenson that got it.

Kimi RAIKKONEN: I mean the car hasn't been too bad here. Since the first practice it has always been getting better once the circuit has been picking up the grip and in qualifying the car was good. In the first qualifying it was a bit difficult and I made some mistakes and I didn't get a very good lap. The second qualifying was good and then in the last one it was good. I had one more lap and I went off in the first corner, so I don't know if it would have made any difference but it was a good result for us especially in this kind of place. The car has been behaving pretty well, so it is nice to be back on the front and hopefully we can fight for victory tomorrow.


Q. Kimi, your third time starting from second on the grid. You said on Thursday that things could be better. What sort of improvements have you made to the car?

KR: I mean the car is basically the same as the last race, so in that way we haven't changed it. There are still a few issues that are hurting all the time but we cannot change it right now. It is mainly for me but that is how it is. I mean it has been pretty good. On Thursday it was okay but all the time when the circuit seems to pick up grip we seem to improve the handling, so that seems to be a benefit for us. I am happy we are second after the start of the season but here it is not very good, so I am pretty disappointed not to be at the front as that gives you a massive edge in the race and that is more or less the only way to win the race, so we will see what we can do tomorrow and try to go for a win.

Q. How much satisfaction does this give you after the season you have had so far?

KR: Not much. I would rather have been in the front. It is nice to be second but still we lost the first place for a small margin but that's what we are aiming for and once we get there I will be happy. But especially in this race. In any other race it maybe doesn't make much difference but here the difference is much bigger between first and second. But it is going to be a long race, so we will see what we can do.

Q. I think the team said that the car was better on the soft tyres rather than the super softs?

KR: No, I did my fastest lap on the softer ones. Both of them work very well but they seem to be best.

Q. (Heikki Kulta – Turun Sanomat) Kimi, is KERS your weapon against Jenson at the start?

KR: Here it can maybe help a little bit but it's such a short straight to the first corner, it's very tight, it's very difficult, you need to really have a jump. Much better to be able to beat the first guy but we will try, we will try what we can and see what happens.

Q. Kimi, given your difficult start to the season will you really risk everything for a victory tomorrow or will you try to ensure some good points?

KR: I'm only interested in winning, so I have nothing really to lose. OK, the team needs points but in the end they are happier with a win than just some points. We're not really in the championship. We know that the team has not had a very easy time this year but we have shown some signs that we are getting better. We still need to work. This is a special place, so if we have good speed here, I wouldn't say that we would be where we want to be on a good circuit, maybe not as good as Brawn, so that's what we're really aiming to improve, so I will definitely try to do everything that I can.

You May Also Like

0 comments