Post race China

by - 10/19/2008 03:13:00 p.m.

Q. Kimi, Lewis has just said it was inevitable that Lewis would finish second. Talk us through the last phase of the race.

Kimi RAIKKONEN: I mean we know what we want as a team and that's what we did it. It is normal in these situations. Today I had a very good car, all the time no major issue. The car was handling quite nicely but unfortunately it wasn't fast enough in the moments when we needed it. At the start Lewis pulled away a bit and then I started to be able to do the same lap times, a little bit catching, but every time I was faster it was too late and the gap stayed the same.

Then in the second stop I was catching him a bit and then I got traffic three times and it cost me a lot of time. I mean even if I had been right behind him we were stopping on the same lap, so without mistakes there was no way to get past. Second and third was the best we could do today, hopefully the next race we can challenge them a bit more. I mean once we came here on Friday, Lewis seemed to be very quick, so it was not easy but we did our best but it didn't work out this time.

Q. With team orders not being allowed it is difficult not to influence the outcome of the race, so how did you handle that?

KR: Like I said, I know what the team expects and I know what we want which are results. It is racing and I have nothing to lose or win in a way. I am driving for the team, so it is a normal situation. I was pretty happy with the way things went in the race apart from we could not challenge the McLaren today but apart from that the car wasn't too bad. But like I said, we just did not have the little bit more speed that we needed.

Q. Kimi, give us an idea of the start and the pace of Lewis in the opening stint.

KR: I think we had pretty much similar starts. He was pulling away at the beginning of the race. There was nothing I could do. It took a few laps for me to get going and once the car started to work better, he was already I don't know how many seconds away and I could just about maintain a similar gap. He was pulling away a bit.

At some point later on I was able to catch him a bit but it was too late and then the gap stayed the same on the second set of tyres, pulling away at the beginning again, and I was then catching up. But then I was stuck behind some traffic and lost quite a bit of time. We just didn't have the speed today. The car felt quite good all the time but we were just missing a few tenths all the time, so I was not able to challenge him really. It was a bit of a shame but there was nothing we could have done.

Q. Do you share Felipe's optimism about Brazil?

KR: The car was very good there last year, so it's another race, another weekend. It can be very good for us, nothing is over yet, so we go there and try to do the maximum that we can and see where we end up but it's too early to say. Once we do the Friday there, I think everybody will have a little bit better idea what the speed difference between the teams is and then it will be easier to go from there.

Q. You had a difference tyre choice in comparison to Felipe; were you happy with that tyre choice?

KR: No, we had the same tyre at the start of the race. I think he was on soft tyres, I was on hard. They wanted to try different... to see if we could catch up Lewis. There wasn't really a big difference between the tyres. I thought they were very similar in the end. The difference wasn't there, the amount that we were losing out. So we tried but it didn't work out.

Q. (Bob McKenzie - The Daily Express) Kimi, as World Champion, how tough is it to have to put in a lap that's two seconds slower, for your teammate to go past you?

KR: I'm not in a position to challenge for the championship. I know what the team expects from me and I'm happy to try to achieve the maximum points for the team, what we need. Unfortunately we missed a few points today, overall. But like I said, it doesn't make any difference to my season.

You May Also Like

0 comments