Hunting for the grip

by - 9/17/2008 09:28:00 p.m.

Sometimes it’s rough. You try and try, but nothing seems to go your way. I haven’t been winning for ages and I haven’t got any points, either. In Monza we finished the race, but it didn’t feel any better compared to two previous ones with DNFs.
We have now five races without points. Obviously, you don’t have to be Einstein to realize that this is not the way to fight for the championship. It’s not over, I’ll never give up.

We have had the same problem too many times. With this car in certain circumstances it’s too difficult to get the right temperatures to the tyres – especially if it rains. And it seems to rain almost in every race nowadays.

It rained a lot in Monza. Unfortunately, for me, there is no reason to talk about anything else but the last laps of the race.

The car was really good on Friday in the dry. But in the wet on Saturday I simply could not get the tyres up to temperature. This is something we need to understand, because the car is very good, when the car has the right temperature in the tyres. But the race is all but over by then .

Obviously, at the moment things simply are not going my way. Sometimes things happen like that. But I will keep pushing and hopefully my luck will change. I would like to win a couple more races before the end of the season.

I have not lost my skills for driving in the wet. But we have to get the car right to be able to fight in the rainy races, too. If there is no grip, you cannot fight. You just drive and drive and hope that things get sorted out. While it started to dry up in Monza, it was like switching on the lights. Everything felt well and I was able to attack the corners, but it was much, much too late then.

Now we go to Mugello to test. We do our very best to solve the problem. We wouldn’t mind, if it would rain the whole week.

We are heading for the new challenges. It’s good for F1 and the drivers to race in a city like Singapore. It will also the first ever night race in F1 so a completely new experience for everybody. Obviously, the atmosphere will be great. Hot and humid seems to be more favorable for Ferrari.

You never know what happens in the race. There is no reason to make any plans. We just concentrate on doing our very best. Whoever has the most points after the last race, will be the champion.

I am really happy to extend my agreement with Ferrari. They are the best team in F1. My memories of last year will never be forgotten and I would like to repeat that feat again.

You May Also Like

0 comments