Raikkonen in no hurry to decide F1 future

by - 7/23/2008 08:02:00 p.m.


Kimi Raikkonen insists he has not lost the desire to win, but the defending world champion is still refusing to commit to Formula One beyond the end of his Ferrari contract next year.

The 28-year-old Finn had a notably lacklustre German Grand Prix last weekend, amid rumours his heart is no longer in it and he may be contemplating an early retirement.

"The desire to win hasn't decreased at all," Raikkonen said on Tuesday, insisting that last year - when he ultimately won the drivers' title - he similarly went six races without a victory.

But in an interview with the Spanish newspaper El Mundo, he refused to confirm whether he will still be on the grid in 2010.

"I am not in a hurry to decide," Raikkonen said. "I have one more year on my contract that I want to fulfil."

"For 2010, we will see. It is not an easy decision, it is necessary to evaluate many things."

Many observers cannot understand why, with possibly F1's most lucrative contract and one of the most competitive seats, Raikkonen would be considering hanging up his helmet.
"I don't feel like I need to explain, I will make my decision when I am ready. Ferrari is not rushing me either."

"There are many things to do outside of Formula One - I will find ways to amuse myself," he said, "and I have never had problems with having spare time."

Similarly, Raikkonen does not exclude the possibility of simply continuing at Ferrari in 2010, and would welcome Fernando Alonso as a team-mate.

"Why not?" he answered when asked about potentially having Alonso as a team-mate. "Who knows, but I am not the one who makes the decisions about drivers."

Source: GMM

You May Also Like

0 comments