A Perfect Weekend

by - 5/02/2008 03:02:00 p.m.



It was a perfect weekend for us in Barcelona. We were going really fast all the time and we didn't have a single problem during those three sunny days on the circuit we all know so well.
Obviously everytime while I go to the race, I think what might happen this weekend. It is so often that something goes wrong. Many times I have won and afterwards still had a feeling that it could have gone better.
Now after Barcelona, I did not have a feeling that we could have improved. As a win, this is probably the best one I've ever had, as the whole weekend went so smoothly and without any difficulties at any time.
Of course in this business, you are not able to reach the perfect satisfaction, but what we achieved as a total result in Barcelona is pretty close to that.
We started strongly on Friday practise, and we finished the race even stronger. All the time the car became better and better. The things the boys at the factory had done to improve the speed were working very well.
I said before that qualifying will be the most important factor for the result of the race, and obviously that was the case yet again in Barcelona. We made some changes to the set-up already in the test sessions, and oh boy, I was satisfied with the feeling we got from it. Now, the car is also working over one lap just how I want it to work.
My first run in qualifying was not successful, because of the traffic and I could not get the tyres ready. But the last lap was good, I was very happy to clinch pole knowing the fuel level I carried for the race too.
The pole position gives you the best chance to control the race. You have to be in pole to win at Barcelona. My start off the line was not that good, but it was enough to keep my position.
In the end of the day, we could not fully maximise our strategy, while the safety car came twice to the circuit. Without that, the gap to the others would have been bigger. When you lead the race, there is no reason to push hard to get a bigger gap. It's better to just control the race and ensure the gap stays as it is.
Obviously it felt good to get the fastest lap too. That gives the joy for the moment you've done it. For me, it was the first one this year.
Of course, I never hope that anyone hurts himself. This time it was even worse to see Heikk's car in the wall. It was a big crash, but luckily he is alright.
Winning the race was good for me and it was good for the team. We hoped to get a 1-2 result and we got it. Now we are leading both championships, but we have to work even harder to keep our positions.
I've got such a lead that it gives only a small safety to the championship. But it takes only one bad result and it's gone. At least we could afford a bad result, but the others' couldn't. That helps a little.
There is a long road to go and I know very well that we are not going to have every time weekends like we did in Barcelona. Obviosly there will be difficulties, but we have a strong car and the speed to try and win in every race. I think that is the best thing right now.
Next stop is Istanbul. Like always, we'll try to bring the best points from there too. It should be a good circuit for us, but we have to wait and see what happens there.

You May Also Like

0 comments