Kimi's Column - Bahrein Gp

by - 4/08/2008 09:47:00 p.m.


We went to Bahrain to get a 1-2 result and we did it. It was the best possible achievement for the team.
Whilst second place in the race is not the ideal result for me, it was a great weekend for Ferrari as we now lie second in the constructors championship by just one point.
The team is really pushing hard to keep the momentum going. This is it; what they really love here in Maranello, to see two Ferraris in the front. Felipe did a good job over the weekend. I struggled to find a decent set-up, especially on Saturday. The balance of the car was tricky at the beginning of the race, with all the oil on the circuit, but the race pace was good. However when you know your teammate is stopping one lap later, it makes life difficult.
I am here just to win races. I am here to fight for the championships. Somehow it has never worked out for me in Bahrain. I always want to win - that is my only passion. Obviously being second does not give the best of feelings for me. And it never will.
This was one of those difficult weekends that just come from time to time. But when the final result after a difficult weekend is second place and I'm leading the championship, I feels good.
Leading the driver's championship now, after looking at the first race in Melbourne, it's a great achievment. But the most painful aspect for us was qualifying. At the start we knew there was not much to do. Felipe was infront of me. The cards were laid out and I had no jokers in my hand.
The BMW was not far behind. I said before going to Bahrain that you really have to fight harder for every point you can get. This is a long season and obviously it will be like this all year long.
I managed to overtake Kubica, while he was struggling and he was on the wrong side for that corner. It was an important moment, because his race pace was good too.I would not be too suprised if BMW also win a race. I have a feeling that there will be races where we are strong, there will be races where BMW are strong and there will be races where McLaren are strong too.
Now the season moves on. The first three distant races are behind and now we go back to Europe. Traditionally, it always means a new chapter in the championship.
I look forward to the next race in Barcelona. The team is still pushing 100% to make sure we keep ahead of our main rivals.

You May Also Like

0 comments